Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Book Review: Tattoos On the Heart

Tattoos on the Heart: The Power of Boundless Compassion
by Gregory Boyle



This book was written by Father Gregory Boyle, a Jesuit priest who began working, and continues to work, in East L.A. with gang members. He created Homeboy Industries which endeavors to give jobs and tattoo removal to gang members, in hopes of pulling them out of the cycle of crime, poverty, abuse, and gang-banging that they are in. It has proved to be a very effective model.

I put this book in my Kindle wish list after hearing Father Greg and a couple of homies speak at a conference on children's law. The presentation was powerful. I finally got around to reading this book, and am glad that I did. I'm not sure what took me so long, really. It made me laugh, and it made me cry. I very much recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment